Aged 18 or over?
Recent changes in your health?
Difficulty walking or need help moving about?
Everyday tasks becoming difficult?
Need someone to help you on a regular basis?
Sometimes feel lonely or isolated?
Supporting Independence is a Northamptonshire Public Health service, tailored to support anybody in the county, over the age of 18, who may be struggling with one or several areas of their life, leading to mild frailty or reduced independence.
How Do They Work?
They are currently provide a telephone service, offering 12 weeks of person-centred support with a trained Wellbeing Advisor. Advisors use validated tools to complete a comprehensive assessment, identifying the areas of need for support. Advisors have a wealth of knowledge and contacts for community services, charities and organisations across the county, working in partnership to achieve a positive outcome for customers.
What Can They Do?
Examples of support include:
- Advice, information and support on lifestyle issues such as stopping smoking, diet, alcohol use and physical activity.
- Support to access other activities including local clubs, groups and events.
- Identification of other issues such as blood pressure or use of multiple medicines and referral where appropriate including to memory clinics, continence services or community pharmacies.
- Identification, support and referral as appropriate to support daily life including housing support and money advice.
- Identification, intervention and support for low-level mental health and emotional difficulties.
Referrals depend on successfully completing the eligibility criteria – just a few quick questions included within the referral form. A Supporting Independence administrator will then contact within 2 working days to arrange an initial appointment with an allocated advisor. Advisors complete a 6-month follow-up appointment with the customer, where they assess customer needs post-discharge, to ensure all needs have been met.
For more information and to access the online referral form, please visit Northamptonshire’s Supporting Independence web page.SIP A4 poster version 2