The two pictures of the cinema programme below were provided by Heather & Garth Graves and the Signpost is grateful for their permission to publish them here.
The Cinema By The Church
Woodford Halse used to have a cinema called The Savoy. Woodford’s first cinema, “The Hippodrome” opened in an ex-army wooden hut in 1921 but it was damaged by a fire in 1934. In 1935, the Saville brothers opened a purpose built building almost opposite the Church, The Savoy. It remained open until about 1962. After that it was used as a church hall and a village community hall. It was finally demolished in 1994. The houses known as “Church View” were built on the site.
Movies in September & October 1959
These two pictures show a programme from September and October 1959. Two different programmes, often each with two films (and probably, unbilled, a film of the week’s news) ran each week. Priced at 2d – there were 240 pennies (d) in one pound – this would have been the equivalent of £0.16 in today’s money.
It looks like Woodford had to wait for its visual treats, though. The programme includes “The Pajama Game”, a big budget American musical starring Doris Day, was released in 1957 although the English film like “Idle on Parade” was first released in March of 1959, some six months earlier. Maybe some younger Woodford residents were in the audience for Elvis Presley’s “King Creole” in October!