Council Vacancy

There is a vacancy open for a member of the Parish Council.

This is the formal notice  of vacancy:-

Casual Vacancy 11-02-2019

Council Members are responsible for seeing that the Council meets its obligations to deliver certain local services. Council Members consult with residents and local firms, make proposals, vote on proposals and are responsible for implementing the Council’s decisions. Council Members are unpaid and usually elected but can also be co-opted directly by the council (see here). They represent the views of parish residents and local businesses in Council discussions and in discussions with other bodies such as the District Council or the County Council, and bring their own experience and knowledge to discussions and decisions.

To be eligible you must be:

  • At least 18 years old on the day of your nomination, and
  • A British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union

You must also meet at least one of the following four qualifications:

  • You are, and will continue to be, registered as a local government elector for the parish in which you wish to stand from the day of your nomination onwards, or
  • You have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the parish area during the whole of the 12 months before the day of your nomination  or
  • Your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of your nomination and the day of election has been in the parish area, or
  • You have lived in the parish area of within three miles of it during the whole of the 12 months before the day of your nomination.

You cannot be a councillor if:-

  • You are employed by the parish council or hold a paid office under the parish/community council (including joint boards or committees), or
  • You are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order, or
  • You have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three months or more (including a suspended sentence), without the option of a fine, during the five years before, or
  • You have been disqualified under the Representation of the People Act 1983 (which covers corrupt or illegal electoral practices and offences relating to donations) or under the Audit Commission Act 1998.



This entry was posted in Parish Council. Bookmark the permalink.

Tell Us What You Think....

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.