The consultation has now closed, the results have been analysed, and Daventry DC has decided on the actions it intends to take.
The consultation showed support by residents and local groups for most of the proposals. There was, however, opposition to the proposal requiring dogs to be kept on leads throughout Daventry Country Park. In response to this feedback, the area within Daventry Country Park where dogs must be kept on leads will be restricted to the area immediately adjacent to the Visitor Centre/Café. This more focused proposal for dogs to be kept on leads received majority support from dog walkers and non-dog walkers alike.
The Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) which contains these enhanced powers has been formally approved by Daventry District Council and will come into force on 1st December 2015. The new powers which replace and add to powers currently provided for in the existing Dog Control Orders will address the following as offences:
- failing to pick up after your dog. This will now include all land to which the public can gain access
- failing to put a dog on a lead when directed to do so by an authorised officer – this allows Council Officers to direct that a dog is put on a lead when it is causing nuisance and/or danger to other persons and their dogs
- failing to exclude dogs from designated children’s play areas
- failing to keep dogs on leads in the designated dogs on leads area around the Visitor Centre/Café in Daventry Country Park
- failing to provide at the request of an authorised officer the means to pick up after a dog
- Any breach of the order could result in the issuing of a £100 fixed penalty notice or being taken to court and receiving a fine on conviction of up to £1000. There will be an initial three month period of education during which officers will provide advice and issue verbal warnings as necessary. From 1st April 2016 formal enforcement of the Order will commence.
A full copy of the results of the consultation is available as a opens in a new windowdownload from the Daventry DC web site.