TV Fraud : Avoid Bogus Web Sites
Action Fraud, the National Crime Intelligence Bureau has passed on this warning.
Fraudsters have created a high specification website template advertising flat screen televisions for sale which are below market value and do not exist. Payment is being requested via bank transfer and will offer no protection to the consumer when the television does not arrive.
- Payments made via bank transfer are not protected should you not receive the item.
- Always make payment via a credit card or PayPal where you have some avenue of recompense should you not receive your product.
- Conduct some online research on the website, company name and business address to identify any poor feedback or irregularities.
- Check the authenticity of websites before making any purchases. A ”whois” search on the website will identify when the website has been created, so be wary of newly formed domains. This search can be conducted using the following website – https://who.is/
- If the item advertised seems too good to be true, it probably is
IF YOU ARE WORRIED THAT YOU MAY HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF FRAUD OR IF YOU NEED TO REPORT A FRAUD, PLEASE CALL ACTION FRAUD ON 0300 123 2040 OR USE THE ACTION FRAUD REPORTING TOOL, VIA THE ACTION FRAUD WEBSITE – www.actionfraud.police.uk.