Pets (Puppies) For Sale Alert
Action Fraud, the National Crime Intelligence Bureau has passed on this warning.
Action Fraud has noticed a rise in reports concerning the purchase of pets, in particular puppies, advertised for sale via popular online auction websites.
The fraudsters will place an advert of the pet for sale, claiming to have recently moved abroad and the need to re-home the puppies.
Once a sale is agreed and payment is made, usually by money transfer or bank transfer, the pet does not materialise. The fraudster will usually ask for further advanced payments for courier charges, shipping fees or vet bills.
- Stay within the auction guidelines. Be wary of paying fees via a Money Service Bureau, such as MoneyGram and Western Union.
- Consider conducting research on other information provided by the seller; for example a mobile phone number or email address used by the seller could alert you to any negative information associated with this number online.
- Request details of the courier company being used and conduct enquiries regarding the company.
- Agree a suitable time to meet face to face to agree the purchase.
- Be wary. If you think the purchase price is too good to be true then this is probably an indication that it is!
IF YOU ARE WORRIED THAT YOU MAY HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF FRAUD OR IF YOU NEED TO REPORT A FRAUD, PLEASE CALL ACTION FRAUD ON 0300 123 2040 OR USE THE ACTION FRAUD REPORTING TOOL, VIA THE ACTION FRAUD WEBSITE – www.actionfraud.police.uk.