Action Fraud, the National Crime Intelligence Bureau has passed on this warning.
Courier fraudsters have been identifying themselves to victims on the telephone as “Detective Constable Martin Benton of New Scotland Yard Fraud Department”. The fraudsters will invent a story regarding fraudulent activity on your card and request your bank/card details.
No such person exists at the Metropolitan Police. If you receive a call from someone purporting to be this individual, terminate the call immediately.
Protect yourself against courier fraud:
- Your bank will never send a courier to your home
- Your bank and the police will never collect your bank card
- Your bank and the police will never ask for your PIN
- If you receive one of these calls end it immediately
- If you have handed over any details to the fraudster, call your bank and cancel your cards immediately.
- If you want to call your bank, then do it from another telephone.
IF YOU ARE WORRIED THAT YOU MAY HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF FRAUD OR IF YOU NEED TO REPORT A FRAUD, PLEASE CALL ACTION FRAUD ON 0300 123 2040 OR USE THE ACTION FRAUD REPORTING TOOL, VIA THE ACTION FRAUD WEBSITE – www.actionfraud.police.uk.