The Not So Fine Art of Investment Fraud…
Action Fraud, the National Crime Intelligence Bureau has passed on this warning.
Concerns around this include:
- How the commodity is being offered, such as how the cold callers persuade victims to part with their money.
- Hidden costs charged to the victims to view the product, shipping costs or additional fees to store the item.
- If the investment sounds too good to be true it probably is.
- Hang-up on investment cold calls. Legitimate companies will not ring-up and offer you an investment out of the blue.
- Do not give out personal financial information to cold callers.
- Check whether the art dealer is a member of a trade association, such as The Society of London Art Dealers (SLAD), The Association of Art and Antique Dealers (LAPADA), The British Art Dealers Association (BADA) or Confederation of International Dealers in Art Work (CINOA).
- Request copies of old receipts, invoices and question the history of the previous owner of the art investment, to check if the product is genuine before investing
IF YOU ARE WORRIED THAT YOU MAY HAVE BEEN A VICTIM OF FRAUD OR IF YOU NEED TO REPORT A FRAUD, PLEASE CALL ACTION FRAUD ON 0300 123 2040 OR USE THE ACTION FRAUD REPORTING TOOL, VIA THE ACTION FRAUD WEBSITE – www.actionfraud.police.uk.